Friday, June 11, 2010

Solo show at Coffee Gallery


I've been thinking about creating a blog for my art for a while now, but could never put my ideas into action because I've simply been too busy. But, with my solo show at Coffee Gallery, I figure it's time to create an online presence for my art. After all, this is my first solo show since 1997 so there are reasons to be excited.

The story began in September of last year, when I saw a "call for artist entries" advertisement online. Coffee Galley Altadena was looking for artists to show their art in their main room and conference room for 2010 -- each month there would be one artist showing in the main room, and another showing in the conference room. I looked at the ad and thought ... hm... this is local, maybe I should give it a try. So I did, and I got selected to show there for June this year (conference room) and March of 2011 (main room). I was so excited! Thanks to the curator, Kathy Cavellas, for selecting me!

So I got to work immediately after a group show in Taiwan with an artist association I am part of, and by end of May, I had created 7 new oil paintings to hang in the conference room. Although the space is small, I am quite happy with how the show looks. Here's a link on ArtSlant about the show.

I like the intimacy of the conference room. I believe that in an alternative setting such as this, sometimes a viewer can engage with my art more than if they were to see it in a traditional gallery setting. Although this show is small, it is a starting point to something bigger.

If you are interested in seeing the show, Coffee Gallery is located at 2029 N. Lake Ave, Altadena, CA 91001. They are open daily till 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment